What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
What is management?
- get better outcomes from a team working together (not just you implementing more)
- create present and future outcomes
- you are responsible for your tams output
Purpose, people and process.
Think about purpose, people and process. The why, the who and the how.
Purpose is the why. Make sure your team knows what success looks like, and cares about achieving it.
People. Pick the right people, motivate and train them. Create an environment for success.
Process. The how.
Leader vs manager
- Leadership is a trait that we all exhibit. The ability to guide and influencer other people.
- the "manager" title can be given and taken from you
- the "leader" title is earned, and bestowed upon you by the team
- you can't force people to do what you want, you need to inspire them to action
Your first 3 months
Questions to discuss for Apprentice managers
- What will be my scope to start, how do you expect it to change over time?
- How will my transition be communicated?
- What do I need to know about the people that I'll be managing?
- What important team goals / processes should I be aware of, and help push foward?
- What does success look like in my first 3-6 months?
- How can the two of us stay aligned on who does what?
Watch out for:
- having hard conversations - you are now responsible for the team output, so deal with mis-alingments swiftly and directly
Things to think about in preparation as a pioneer manager:
- How do I make decisions?
- What do I consider a job well done?
- What are all the responsibilities I took care of when it was just me?
- What's easy or hard about working in this function?
- What new processes are needed now that this team is growing?
Considerations for a 'new boss':
- you get slack cut in the beginning, you have a new slate
- ask for people's definition of a dream manager
- What did you and your past manager discuss that was most helpful to you?
- What are the ways in which you'd like to be supported?
- How do you like to be recognised for great work?
- What kind of feedback is most useful for you?
- Imagine that you and I had an amazing relationship, what would that look like?
- finnding people's expecatation of their manager:
- WHat does it mean to do a great job vs an average job? Give me some examples
- Can you share your impressions on how X went? Wy do you think that?
- I noticed that Z happened the other day, that normal? should I be concerned?
- What keeps you awake at night?
- How do you determine which things to prioritise?